2018 Road Relay
Our first priority for the event is the safety of all competitors, support crews and event staff. Most of the weekend activity takes place on open roads. Please take time to familiarise yourself with these precautions.
***** EACH INFRINGEMENT OF ANY SAFETY RULE WILL INCUR A PENALTY OF 1 HOUR ADDED TO STAGE TIME, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED *****
TEAM MANAGERS ARE TO ENSURE THAT ALL TEAM MEMBERS ARE FAMILIAR WITH THESE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, AND COPIES OF THESE PRECAUTIONS MUST BE FORWARDED TO THE DESIGNATED DRIVERS OF EACH TEAM PRIOR TO THE RACE START.
- All runners MUST keep to the left-hand side of the road. This may mean running off the bitumen in certain conditions, e.g. on narrow roads with passing traffic.
- No runner or vehicle may block a lane of traffic. Follow vehicles will be required to travel on the road shoulder on narrow roads when there is traffic following.
- Although the runners may have to keep going, ALL vehicles (including Follow vehicles) MUST obey stop signs, traffic lights, one-way signs, etc.
- Seat Belts MUST be worn. $ Donation to Qld Police will apply when caught.
- Follow vehicles should have hazard lights plus a Flashing Yellow Light on AT ALL TIMES - NO EXCEPTIONS. All other support vehicles should have hazard lights on when parked on the side of the road for water stops and/or changeover zones.
NOTE: It is advisable to carry spare fuses for vehicles, as continued light use may require some maintenance.
- When approaching a sharp left turn or a hilltop, the Follow vehicle should increase the distance away from the runner until
(a) Runner is well around the corner or over the hill
(b) Any vehicle approaching you from behind has seen your flashers and is slowing down.
Then catch up to the runner again.
- Vehicles are not to park within 100 metres after a changeover point.
- Follow vehicles should travel close enough behind the runner to give protection. No other car should be able to cut in on a runner.
- The number of vehicles per team on the road is three (3).
- Any vehicle without team ID will not park within 1000 metres of any changeover area.
- Keep to a minimum the number of support vehicles and people congregating at changeover points, and ensure they are well off the road. Although some changeover points have limited safe parking on the spot, there is usually ample parking 200-300 metres after the changeover.
- Please obey traffic regulations pertaining to body parts hanging outside of moving vehicles.
- Do not use the Follow vehicles protecting the runner to give water to the runner. If water must be given to the runner in an emergency, then the driver should safely stop off the road, and the passenger should get out and run up to the runner.
- The Race management reserves the right to disqualify any "follow vehicle" or "team vehicle" from driving during the race. (After discussion with the team manager).
- A Communications Device (mobile phone) will be carried in all follow vehicles. UHF transceivers optionally may be carried for use where mobile coverage is poor.
- ALL DRIVERS OF TEAM VEHICLES MUST ATTEND A DRIVERS MEETING! All team members are encouraged to attend this meeting as well.
ALWAYS BE AWARE OF:
- Traffic that may be approaching you from behind at 100km/h and over (especially semi-trailers).
- Vehicles approaching from in front and behind that may pass each other at the spot where you are.